Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Blog Action Day 2008 - Poverty


Blog Action Day is an annual nonprofit event that aims to unite the world’s bloggers, podcasters and videocasters, to post about the same issue on the same day. Our aim is to raise awareness and trigger a global discussion.

One Issue, Thousands of Voices

Global issues like poverty are extremely complex. There is no simple, clear answer. By asking thousands of different people to give their viewpoints and opinions, Blog Action Day creates an extraordinary lens through which to view these issues. Each blogger brings their own perspective and ideas. Each blogger posts relating to their own blog topic. And each blogger engages their audience differently.

It's hard to image sometimes that poverty actually exists in Richmond. I look at the people around me and sure, sometimes money is tight, we all scrimp & save at times but I hate to imagine someone in Richmond living without the basic creature comforts like food, clothing and an affordable roof over their head. According to The Richmond Poverty Response Committee street homeless has reached crisis levels in Metro Vancouver. But the visibly homeless represent just the tip of the iceberg. Over 58,000 households pay more than 50% of their income just for a roof over their heads and are at risk of homelessness. Those statistics are alarming.

The Lulu Ladies & Babies just finished doing a food bank drive for The Richmond Food Bank. Over $210.00 cash and 7 boxes full of food & toiletries were collected. It never fails to amaze me, the power of a maternal community. We have some other charitable drives going on this winter. We are participating in Give A Kid a Coat, in which our goal is to collect 100 coats to be distributed by Sleep Country Canada through The Salvation Army. We also plan to participate in Operation Christmas Child. Operation Christmas Child brings joy and hope to children in desperate situations around the world through gift-filled shoe boxes and the message of God’s unconditional love. We are not all religious but that doesn't matter. We are making a child who could otherwise receive nothing at Christmas know that someone in Canada loves and cares about them. This charity is particularly close to my heart as my father, as a child in Paraguay, South America was one of those children who received a box at Christmas. The stories he tells and the strong emotions I hear in his voice and see in his eyes make this an important tradition for me to participate in with my family.

I think it become ever so much more important when you have children and the onus for love and care is no longer soley upon you, the individual. Speaking for myself, I feel added compassion like I never did before I was a mother. It is important for me to give, to share what I have. Big or small, all the contributions and efforts to assist in poverty help. I am so proud to be part of this wonderful group of mothers in our community who take the time to give and share.

In good health,
Susan

1 comment:

kouji said...

indeed. that group of mothers has done much good. and for the recipients, that good can make a world of difference.

for my part, i turn to sites like freerice (rice donation), kiva (microfinance), and goodsearch (donation per search), as ways to help alleviate poverty online. i also put up their banners on my blog. :)

saw this post via the blog action day site. it's great that you're participating. :)