Monday, October 6, 2008

Stroller Strides Moms Run Group Wraps Up 12 Week Training Session

Submitted by: Becky Southwell, Stroller Strides Learn to Run 10K Faster Leader.

I was so disappointed not to make the Run for the Cure this year. I came down with a head-cold the night before and I know I missed out on a great day. Seeing people running in honor of loved ones or seeing the number of women who are bald from chemo under their bandannas or hats is always so touching and incredible. Every year that I’ve done the run I’ve cried my way through and also sailed along for 5K as if I were weightless, inspired by the runners around me.

As the run group winds down its session tonight at Starbucks, it’s got me thinking what the weekly run means to me. The number one thing is the camaraderie. Knowing we are all accountable to each other to show up means I put my sneakers on and head out the door, even on nights when Gray’s Anatomy is on or dinner in the oven smells really good. The run gives us all time to talk, and I’ve gotten to know people better on these runs than I could at twenty play-dates, not having children pulling our attention away means we not only start conversations… we get to finish them! (I was starting to feel like I wouldn’t finish an adult conversation until both children were in school.) Then there’s the accomplishment. Because the routine is structured in such a way that each week builds gradually, we all achieve a huge amount of progress with as little pain as you can experience given how far we go. I love that the group brings together seasoned runners and people looking for a new way to work out. What everyone has in common is a desire to do something just for them, give something back to themselves after all we do for our family and others. Everyone has negotiated with spouses, or moms, or hired babysitters to carve out an hour or two each week just for them and I think that’s really important. It’s like a little date to keep with yourself, and since it’s so easy to blow it off, I think we’re all pretty fabulous for showing up each week.

I would love to see more people join the run group. I think some people don’t see themselves as “runners”. But you don’t have to be a Capital R – Runner to start the program. You can just be a person who is looking to add a Moms-only workout to your week. The slow build in difficulty as the weeks progress means you might surprise yourself. I’m thinking ahead to a few races, particularly the Steveston Ice Breaker in January, which runs along the dyke. I’ll be one of the ‘half-crazy’ entrants braving the freezing cold and earning myself that Starbucks Mochacinno at the end. I hope to see you there.

Becky






No comments: