Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Halloween Healthy Trick-or-Treat Alternatives

I just love our Lulu Ladies & Babies message board. I love the see the questions and topics that come up, things the moms are thinking about, talking about.

A thread was started by one of the mom members who is doing a little poll this Halloween season. Being in the education industry, this mom is right in the middle of a big "healthy schools campaign." This year, she is going the give the little trick-or-treaters that come to her door a choice. They can either have a goody bag with some stickers and a pencil or candy. She is wondering what the consensus will be on the choice given. What do you think?

My husband read the thread over my shoulder and says... "you better tell her to buy a big jug on vinegar... that is the best way to get egg of the house" Smartie pants.

After reading the thread and some of the replies, I decided to take the healthy trick-or-treat discussion to my Mom Organizer Group, Not Just Moms. With close to 1,200 moms group organizers on one forum, I figured there would be lots of say on the topic and I was right.

Many of the responders applaud the decision to do a healthy alternative. Lots of great suggestions were given.
  1. mini pretzel bags
  2. mini fruit snacks
  3. mini tubs of play-doh
  4. pencils, stickers
  5. temp. tattoos
  6. raisins
  7. toothbrush

A few responders were very honest and said the candy is what it's all about. One of the responses read, "really Halloween is all about the candy. I wouldn't do a birthday party without a birthday cake, and it wouldn't be Halloween without candy." I also like the honesty of, "I give out candy, too. Then I pull a little bit out of my daughter's bag for her to have and take the rest to work. Better my co-workers get fat than my kid."

I for one, applaud those who are thinking about this and offering an alternative. My boys have been avid trick-or-treaters for a few years now. We live on a small street, they only visit a handful of houses and still seem to come home with an arsenal of chocolate bars, chips, jujubes, rockets and lollipops. I also still like the idea of candy at Halloween. I am big on tradition and to me Halloween trick-or-treat and mini chocolate bars are entwined in tradition.

So if any of you end up at my house this Halloween eve, you will find me at the door handing you a mini Kit Kat AND a small tub of play-doh. I just don't want to have to get out the big tub of vinegar.

In good health,

Susan

No comments: